It is well known that you can clean your shower head with a simple store cupboard staple, right? I bet you’ve even tried it and know how well it works! But how to clean shower head without vinegar?
If you don’t have any lying around, there is still lots you can do to keep your shower head sparkling.
How To Clean Shower Head Without Vinegar?
It may surprise you to know that there is another store cupboard staple that you can use to clean your shower head – do you have any baking soda lying around?
This unassuming product is a really great cleaner, and a natural antibacterial cleansing solution, especially for places where you don’t want to use chemicals.
All you need to do is make a thick paste of it with some water, then apply it to the shower head, scrub gently with a toothbrush then wash it off!
Lemon juice is also a great cleaner; its astringent properties make it ideal for bringing up shine and removing limescale.
Again, all you need to do is apply to to the shower head, scrub a little with a toothbrush, then rinse it clean.
You can, of course, use traditional cleaning products such as bleach or bathroom cleaner to bring back your shower head’s sparkle.
However, many people are starting to move away from chemical and harsh cleaning agents, so try to go more down the natural route.
Somewhere in between natural and chemical is coca cola – it sounds unbelievable, but you can actually use this drink to clean things. Placing the shower head in a bag filled with coke will do just as good a job as bleach – just remember to rinse it so it is not sticky!
How Do You Descale A Shower Head Naturally?
Limescale is the enemy of a fast flowing shower, and it is pretty much inevitable even if you live in a soft water area.
When you notice the telltale signs of limescale build up – slower water speeds and that unmistakable flaky substance – you will want to do something about it quickly.
But you don’t want to use chemicals on something that is spraying water all over your body, right? So let’s look at natural ways to descale your shower head:
- Baking soda. This widely available product is a great option for descaling. Simply rub in a paste of baking soda and water, gently scrub and rinse, and that’s it!
- Liquid soap. Normal dish washing soap is another good option for descaling; pour a generous amount onto shower head, then give it a good scrub and a rinse.
- Coca cola. This sugary drink, surprisingly, is an excellent cleaner. Place the shower head into a bag filled with coke, leave for 20 minutes and rinse off.
- Lemon juice. Using a soft cloth, wipe lemon juice mixed with a pinch of salt over your shower head. Leave for a few minutes, then rinse and wipe off.
- Elbow grease. Although this is a less attractive option, it is effective. Run your shower head under water, while scrubbing it with a stiff bristled brush.
All these options are incredibly cheap, pretty much all natural, and take very little effort on your part.
How Do You Clean A Shower Head With Baking Soda?
Baking soda is a wonderful cleaning product – it is widely available, cheap, and all natural.
Because it has slightly abrasive properties, it is absolutely ideal for a bit of gentle cleaning around the home, especially if you are one of the many who dislike chemical cleaning agents.
Cleaning a shower head with baking soda could hardly be more simple – all you need is baking soda, water, an old toothbrush, and a little time and patience.
- Take a few tablespoons of baking soda and place them into a small bowl.
- Mix with just enough water to make a thick paste.
- Remove the shower head and place it on a towel, then, using the toothbrush, spread the paste thickly all over the shower head.
- Leave it for 20 minutes, then give it a gentle scrub with the toothbrush. Rinse off the paste.
- You may wish to repeat the process if your shower head is particularly grubby or covered with thick limescale.
How Do You Clean A Shower Head With Coca Cola?
It may surprise you to know that this popular, sugary drink is actually a great way to deep clean your household appliances!
Coca Cola has a lot of useful components, some of which are similar to that of cleaning products:
- It has a low pH. This acidity makes for a great cleaning product.
- It contains citric acid. This acidic compound is great at removing stains.
- It is carbonated. The fizzing action of the Coke can also help in the cleaning process.
- It contains Phosphoric acid. This is generally used as a rust remover in many cleaning products.
Cleaning your shower head with Coca Cola is simple, easy and effective.
- Remove the shower head.
- Place it into a zip lock bag and fill the bag with Coca Cola.
- Shake the bag vigorously every 20 minutes or so.
- Leave it for an hour initially, checking on the cleaning process and leaving it longer if necessary.
- Once clean, remove from the bag and rinse well with warm water to remove any sticky residue.
This video shows you how to clean your shower head, plus a few other bathroom areas, using Coke. Skip to 56 seconds for the shower head!
Now that you have one or two more ideas on how to clean shower head without vinegar, you won’t have to worry if you run out of this kitchen staple – there are many other options for you.
Keeping your shower head sparkly is not too difficult; just have a go at a few of our ideas and you’ll soon be able to see your face in it!